In Ptuj (Pettau) at Zborn Breg (Ober-Rann) Mithraeum III was discovered
in 1913 between Roman villas which are situated between the Brunnwasser
and the Pragerhoferstreet. The finds are preserved in the sanctuary.
V. Skraber in Oesterreichische Illustrierte Zeitung 1914 No. 8; E.
Reisch in JOAI 1913, 102ff; Saria in Blätter zur Geschichte und Heimatkunde
der Alpenländer IV, 1913, 425ff; Abramic, Führer, 172ff. See fig. 399.
The Mithraeum stands in an almost exact N -S direction and is situated in the immediate neighbourhood of the river Drave (Drau). It is practically certain, that on its east side there was a sanctuary of the Magna Mater (the bust and the head of a large statue of Cybele are
It is possible to distinguish two periods of the sanctuary: the walls of the
original Mithraeum were in pebble (in the plan they are indicated by narrow crosshatched
lines to the left for the outer walls and by cross-hatched lines to the right
for the inner walls); the extension of the later period was in brick (in the plan the
outside walls are indicated by cross-hatched lines to the left whereas the inner
walls are indicated by cross-lines). On the left of the statue of Mithras as a bull
killer in the floor before the niche a bollo, which I was not able to decipher). In
both periods we have the normal division into a central aisle and two benches. The
original sanctuary (L. 11.20 Br. 6.85) had a pronaos (Deep 3.00) which after the
enlargment became part of the sanctuary proper. The left bench was enlarged to
the outer wall of the former pronaos; the r. bench also was enlarged at the same
time. The Mithraeum was provided with a larger pronaos. At the end of the central
aisle a projecting base (L. 1.40) was made in brick for the cultrelief to stand on. It
was later on enlarged to the breadth of the central aisle. On its left side there are
still traces of stucco and of red painting.
The Mithraeum was covered by a wooden roof as appears from fragments of
loam with basket-work. The side walls were painted in a simple way (white
bordered with red rims).