The altar, as an inscription (CIL XIV 4280) proves, was originally dedicated to Hercules.
From a thorough investigation by G. Becatti it has become clear, that the Mithraists after
changing it into a Mithras-altar, have turned it upside down with the inscription of Hercules
against the wall of the cult-niche. This they did because the upper part of the altar was
broken off and had been lost. This is an established fact. as that part was found back in
1940. The wreath of oak-leaves already was on the altar. but Callinicus had the two ribbons
added and at the same time the altar was pierced, which caused some damage to the