White marble statue (H. 1.10 Br. l.I3). Venice, in the Archaeological Museum
of the former Royal Palace, Inv. No. 193. Second half of the second century A.D.
In 1588 it was walled in the Palazzo S. Marco at Rome, but was bequeathed in
1793 by the Ambassador Girolamo Zulian to the Republic of Venice.
Hammer, Mémoire, Pl. XXIV; Valentinelli, Mus. Ven., Pl. XXVI; Dütschke, V, No. 213; MMM II 223 No. 56 and fig. 52; RRS II, 476, 1; Anti, Museo Venezia, 159 No. 6. Fig. 161 by courtesy of the Museum Direction.
Mithras, slaying the bull. The dog and the serpent lick the blood; the scorpion
on the usual place. The bull's tail ends in three ears. Traces of red painting on the
Restorations at the arms, r., foot and cloak of Mithras; at the bull's muzzle,
horns, tail and l. foreleg; at the serpent's tail and at the l. part of the base.