From: Flickr by the Armatura Press. Three statues, now in the Chesters House museum.
Underground Mithraeum, discovered in 1822 in a slope W. of the Chapel Hill, outside of the
Roman Fort at Housesteads. It was excavated definitely in 1892 by Bosanquet.
Th. Hodgson in Newcastle Chronicle, 26 Oct. 1822 (quoted by Bruce, 93); J. Hodgson in Archaeologia Aeliania 1,1822, 263ff; History of Northumberland, II (3)1,190; Lauchlan, Rome
Wall, Sheet III; Bruce, Lap. Sept., 96f; MMM II 393ff No. 273 and fig. 312;
Bosanquet in Arch. Ael. XXV, 1904, 257ff. See fig. 224. The finds are all in
the Blackgate Museum in Newcastle-on-Tyne.
The sanctuary (L. 14.00 Br. 5.45) is enclosed by brick walls (max. H. 0.66),
which are plastered only on the East side. New excavations have revealed, that
it might have consisted of a vestibulum, through which on the East side by an
entrance the main room could be entered. This consists of a central aisle (Br. 2.65)
and two elevated side-benches (Br. 1.65). Traces of the wooden beams of their sidewalls
have been preserved.
Previous excavations had revealed the hindmost part of the cult-room with the
niche (Br. 2.33 D. 0.75) with several altars and reliefs. The floor was covered with
tiles, but later on the floor seems to have been raised by another layer, consisting
of wood and tiles to prevent itfrom being flooded by the water from the spring.
This spring lies on the N.-side in a basin (L. 0.52 Br. 0.37 D. 0.45) of brick work in
the floor. Excess water can be drained off through two narrow gutters.
A layer of charcoal seems to indicate, that the roof was supported by wooden
rafters. The sanctuary contains the following finds:
See CIMRM 853-869 for the finds. Some are on display at Chesters House.
R. C. Bosanquet, "The Roman Camp at Housesteads", Archaeol. Ael.,2 XXV (1904), pp. 255 ff. The excavation report.